Getting it done

It always seems to be a busy week. There's just so many tasks that stretch out before us on Monday, and so few of them that seem to be done by this point, and so many more that have been added. How do you keep up?

I've been wondering a lot about that lately. It seems that no matter how much I do, no matter how hard I work, I never seem to get any further ahead, or so it seems. But upon closer inspection it becomes apparent that something fundamental is going on, and that rather than not seeing the forest for the trees I'm not seeing the trees for the forest.

Yes, I am behind schedule in almost every aspect of my life (professional, financial, literary, take your pick). But it turns out I'm a lot less further behind than I used to be. There is less that I have to do in order to be "on top of things" than there was a year or even six months ago. I am closer to being "caught up" than I have ever been.

What's more, the things I was worring about a year ago were far more pressing than the things I'm worring about now. Last year the season was already falling apart - this year it's coming together much more nicely. Last year I was putting on weight, this year I'm losing weight. Last year I was run ragged by forces beyond my control - this year I'm in control of my time, my life, my company and my destiny, or at least well enough in control to be able to make some good things happen once in a while.

I'm not there yet, but I'm getting it done. There are those who say you never really get caught up, and technically they may be right, but I think I'm going to get a lot closer than I ever thought possible.

Comments