Auditions Reflections

Our open auditions on World Theatre Day have come and gone. It maybe wasn't the largest call we've ever had, nor was it the smallest, but it felt different to me than some of the previous ones we've had. In fact, I don't think I've felt that way about an audition call since our first really big one, back in 2006. That was a day where magic was made, knowingly or not, and the seeds of future successes were sown.

Did the same thing happen on Saturday? Jules seems to think so. She's only got one previous experience with this, but she tells me that this time feels better than the last. I think I agree with her, and while I'm careful not to put too much stock into gut feelings (and we've still got a long road ahead of us before we can declare any sort of victory) I do feel, well, good.

I sent out the offers last evening and it's now 6:30am and both acceptions and rejections are starting to come in. A lot of people wanting more information - which I guess is good - it means they're interested. Now the real casting dance begins, a casual interplay of emotion, pragmatism and faith, as I flesh out a season with these people and others. If the dance goes right so too will the summer. Get it wrong, and I might as well hand Tim Hortons my resume right now.

In between the extremes of perfection and disaster lies a delicate-but-attainable middle ground - this is where the magic happens.

Comments