The Sweet Hereafter (apologies to Atom Egoyan)

It's Monday.

A big thank-you to everyone who's helped us out in the past two weeks with both Philemon and Baucis (aka By Jove) and Marriage is Murder. It's been a long and at times difficult two weeks, but I'm now happy to report that both shows are in the bag and Grinder Productions is back to doing what it does best - entertaining people.

I have to admit, over the past few months I've been going through a bit of an identity crisis. I've been struck by just how much of who I am is wrapped up in what I do, and after the way the summer season came to an end I was beginning to openly wonder if I was still even able to do what I do (and I wasn't the only one - I think the knives were out for me in a few places).

I think I have a better idea now what laid-off factory workers and the well-paid middle-managers who've been let go in this economy are going through. It's made me realize just how much I am defined by what I do, but also just how much I do love to do it. Of course it's not all wonderful, and there were a lot of times in the last few weeks when I just wanted to throw up my arms and give up, but beyond the temporary challenges and minutiae of particular shows I see a bigger, brighter future ahead once again.

So, onwards and upwards. Today I begin working on Grinder and Friends, the Christmas show. It's going to present some unique challenges, but I'm now confident once more that here at Grinder we have the people, the resources and the ingenuity to face whatever challenges we may face head-on, and come through them more successful than we've ever been before.

Welcome to the sweet hereafter.

Comments