TGIF?

Well it's the end of the first real week back at work (New Year's and other holidays aren't much of a distraction when you're self-employed) and I'm happy to report that the ideas are continuing to come, and the process of getting this company back on its feet is well underway.

The biggest news from today is that I'm pretty sure I have a fourth and final show in the Ennotville Season. I have, reluctantly, dropped the one I was going to do, and I am replacing it with... well, that's going to remain a bit of a surprise. If you want to find out what it is (and I guarantee you it's like nothing we've ever brought to the Ennotville Stage before) then you'll just have to come on out to the library on February 2nd and see Summer's Coming, where we'll have a sneak peak at all the shows we're doing this summer in both Ennotville and Belwood. And that's not a disparagement to Summer's Coming - it isn't JUST a sneak peak at the summer season, its also going to be a full-fledged show in its own right, complete with music and laughter and who knows what other summertime adventures we can throw in. More than anything else, Summer's Coming will be a reminder that yes, Summer is coming, even though it may be snowing (and freezing!) outside.

Other highlights include wading through a lot of dry English literature to find the exciting "gems" that are going to make up the show "Bad Words." While I may have to spend a lot more time searching (I was only online enough today to get as far as the Enlightenment, and there's a lot of material I have that only exists as hard copies in my very oblique literary collection), there's certainly no shortage of material for a show such as this. One could make a show out of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales alone. Took a look at John Gay's The Beggar's Opera for some material as well, and that could prove interesting in that The Beggar's Opera is, oddly enough, an Opera, with the pop songs of 1727 rewritten with socially subversive lyrics, which could theoretically be sung. Perhaps I will see if I can find some of the music and see what I can do with it.

Audition spaces for the Agatha Christie are filling up nicely, with two more names added to the list on Thursday. I was also happy to learn that CJOY, the radio station in Guelph had given us some air play, so a big thanks to them, as it has already prompted another auditioner. If you're thinking of coming out for this please don't wait too long - there are only a limited number of spaces available! And if you're nervous, as I know a great many people are, please take a deep breath and relax! I know of so many intelligent, talented, hard-working people who get it into their heads that they aren't good enough, they aren't experienced enough or any number of other excuses, and they don't come out, and by doing so they are missing out on a chance to be a part of what could be the time of their lives. An audition is simply a chance for you and a director to meet, talk a little bit about something you have a mutual interest in, and then you get to entertain them with your audition piece. Whatever happens after that is completely out of your hands, so its best to just have some fun with it all.

I'm going to try and take things a little easier over the weekend, perhaps only in respect to the blogging, so you'll have to wait until Monday for my next update. Till then, comments and feedback are most welcomed, so don't be shy. - Eric

Comments