Back to the Grinder

So here we are, Monday morning, back at the grinder. It's been a very busy weekend, but a lot of stuff has gotten accomplished.

First off, the Agatha Christie still has a few audition spaces left. Please e-mail me very soon if you would like to book a time.

Bad Words is coming along very well too. I'm starting to wonder if anyone might be interested in an exclusive performance for their group or organization. It's going to be a very simple little show to do, and we'll have the Elora Centre for the Arts from Thursday, January 24th all the way to Sunday the 27th, so we could do it anywhere in there during the day (except Saturday), and Thursday or Sunday evening. I'm also thinking of offering the content for Love Notes, (our single's party) as a matinee as well during the day. It might be a great "Moms and Tots" type of show, like they do with the movies. Thoughts and suggestions welcome on either of those crazy ideas.

While last week was all about drawing up the roadmap back to success and putting our January projects into action this week's focus will be on launching the promotional campaigns for these and other shows. A key part of the new Grinder is the recognition of the fundamental importance of marketing. While this is not the first time I have vehemently decried the need for a sea change in our promotional activities it is the first time that I am actually looking forward to the challenge. Until very recently my perspective on marketing was very negative, and it was a view that most of the people I've worked with over the years have shared. To the best of my recollection, I have never heard of anyone that I personally know who actually likes marketing. Sure, there have been a few people who've demonstrated a passing interest before, but this has quickly faded when it has become apparent just how difficult it is, in fact, to translate enthusiasm into bums in seats. In fact, I think there's more enthusisasm for the annual Newfoundland seal hunt than there is for traditional marketing practices.

So what's different this time around? Why am I so excited about promoting the company, why do I think that this time around will our marketing efforts will result in success? Well there are a lot of reasons, not the least of which is my new-found enthusiasm about this company and what it can accomplish, but a large part of it has to do with the new way I am approaching the whole concept of marketing.

Truth be told, I don't prefer the old ways of marketing any more than anyone else. I can't stand it. Marketing should be fun, as far as I'm concerned, and from now on that's how I'm going to market from now on. It's going to be fun because I'm going to make it fun. Marketing that is fun to create and fun to give and fun to get. It's almost like creating a show about a the show. From now on I'm going to be much more creative in my process, not the least of which will include this blog. Having a forum to write on a regular basis is helping me re-awaken a narrative voice that I had almost forgotten I had. Here's to that resulting in some really entertaining stuff down the road - this is only the beginning.

Comments