A Question for you

The real-time posts continue this morning, as it's 6:47am and I've already been up for over an hour.

It's a very good thing I'm very much in love with my wife. If there were ever any doubts about my faithfulness, I should think getting up at 5:30am after a 25 years of being a night owl should lay them to rest.

I have all the respect in the world for people who are productive at this hour of the morning. I am not one of those people, nor am I likely ever to be. My body clock is so hard-wired to be at the top of my game for an 8pm curtain that these past eight months have comes as shock treatments to my system.

So with that caveat, I launch into my musings for today. This time I'm going to need your help.

I'd like to take greater advantage of the woefully under-utilized comments feature here on blogger, and get some of your opinions on the casting conundrum that seems to perpetually plague our company.

If you were in my position, what would you do to "get people to do" as the world's greatest wife calls it? I'm talking about the process of gathering actors, offering them parts, getting them to accept, and then getting them to commit to the entire process of rehearsals and performances.

As simple as that may sound in theory, it's proving to be almost fatally difficult in practice - we just lost another actor this morning, who hadn't bothered to check the dates of the performance before committing to the show.

Why?

I'm open to suggestions as to why we seem to have such difficulty with getting commitments out of actors here at Grinder, and why our actors can renege on their commitments with such ease and diregard for everyone else involved in the production (and the company).

I want to know what you think we're doing wrong, but I also want to know how you think we can fix it.

The world's greatest mother-in-law likes to quote someone who called into 570 News Radio host Jeff Allan one day, with the simple question "What the hell is wrong with people?" which is, in a way, I guess what I'm asking here.

What the hell is wrong with people? What the hell is wrong with me?

I welcome your thoughts, comments, suggestions.

Comments