Slow and Steady

I'm feeling a lot like the turtle these days. Winter on the farm, a never-ending bathroom renovation and no shows in rehearsal have really served to slow the speed of life down, if not the pace - I feel like I'm doing a lot of lugging around of stuff but when I look behind me it doesn't seem as if I've covered all that much ground.

These days it's crucial that I keep on the lookout for pit-falls that could knock me off by slow and determined course. Just because I can't see the finish line ahead of me doesn't mean that it's not there, it just means that I can't see it right now. Maybe it's because I'm spending so much time looking behind me, or maybe it's because I'm getting to the point in my life where I don't want it to be a race anymore, I want it to be a journey, one without a start/finish line, or a lot of markers along the way. Maybe I just want to enjoy the trip.

But we're not there yet. There's a season to bring to life, a writing career to establish, and a bathroom that always seems to be one job away from completion. This turtle is trying to go for a walk every day he can now, and here's hoping that by the time the snow melts and spring is upon us slow and steady will, once again, win the race.

Comments