A Confession

I have a confession to make.

I was at a show (the title of which shall remain anonymous) a little while ago, and when I was there I did something that I've never done before - I went home at intermission. Yes, that's right, I did the rudest, most inconiderate thing you can do when you come to a show. It may look like a victimless crime (you've already bought your ticket, and really, who's going to notice one empty seat after intermission), but the fact that you can insult the production without the production even knowing about it is, in my estimation, one of the most cowardly, uncouth insults you can hurl at a given show. It means that you've formed an opinion of the show without even giving it a chance to play out (who knows, maybe the second act was much better than the first), and since there's little time to count how many seats are still full after intermission the producers of the show will likely never realize that you were disappointed enough to leave.

I don't know how rampant the desertion runs at Grinder Productions. I know there have been a few, but most of these losses slip by me.

I'm quite ashamed of myself for what I have done. But now, at least I know how the people who leave my shows feel, and I have some idea of what it takes to drive them to that point.

There, I've confessed. Now when am I supposed to start feeling better?

Comments