Art Wars: Declaration of Neutrality

There's an election going on in Canada right now, in case you hadn't heard (I don't know how its possible not to see it, but I guess some people miss it). Somehow, in an odd twist of events, the arts community (and its funding) is on the political radar this time around.

All I want to do is to make sure that you are aware that funding for arts and culture is a significant component of this election, and I want you to examine for yourself the policies proposed by the various parties. Each party has different views and ideas, and this election represents a choice for those of us involved in all levels of the creative industry, about not just what we will receive in the way government support in the months and years ahead, but also the exact framework that such support will be delivered in.

It is not now, and has never been, my perogative to use this blog as a forum for political discourse. If I want to espouse a political viewpoint, I'll start a political blog. So I'm not going to tell you who you should vote for in this election, nor will I even go so far as to tell you who's policy on funding the arts has gotten my vote. I will simply tell you to get yourself informed, and to vote.

As my father once said, if you don't vote, you can't complain about who gets elected. I, for one, intend to make sure that I reserve the right to complain.

Comments