Set Construction 101

Not much time for a post today, as tomorrow we're into set construction for The Hollow. It's going to be a long, cold day, and by the end of it I will no doubt be stiff and sore - I haven't built a set in a while, so the muscles aren't quite where they should be right now.

Despite the aches and pains, though, I do enjoy building sets for shows. It's one of the real "crafts" of technical theatre, one of many in fact, but one that I have always admired. I've been fortunate enough to work with some true master carpenters over the years - people who have taught me a lot about how a set should come together. And while I don't profess to have the same level of skill as some of these people I always try and take a little bit of their wisdom with me as I head into a build, and it has gotten me through many a rough patch.

On Monday I may have more to say on how the build went, and I think that in future postings I'll talk more about the "craft" of theatre, because I think it's one of the more overlooked yet most rewarding aspects of this crazy business.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Saturday turned out to be a fantastic day. Yes, it was a cold day and a lot of hard work but I think we all did a great job. The Hollow's set is going to look amazing.

Good job everyone!

Jules