Summer Wrap-up

And... curtain!

I'm pleased to report that with the close of Same Time, Next Year, this past Saturday at the Ennotville Library, Grinder Productions now has another summer season in the books. With seven shows in two venues, this was our largest, most diverse, most successful summer ever. And while I still have some work to do on the accounting end of things, I am sure enough about where we are to tell you that we have come out of this summer in a much, much better financial position than when we entered it, and that we will be able to continue operations into the fall on a reasonable financial footing. We're not completely out of the woods yet, of course and we will still have to be very, very careful in the weeks and months ahead, but I'm feeling confident about where the company is sitting right now, and where it is heading.

I'd like to say a great big thank-you too all the directors, actors, technicians, and volunteers who helped make this summer a reality. Time and time again people stepped up, stepped in, and went above and beyond the call of duty to make a show happen. This summer we saw some of the best production values and performances that we've ever had at Grinder, and we've got a great basis on which to make things even better over the fall and winter, and in the 2009 summer season.

Those of you who know me know that I hesitate to use words like "quality" and "professionalism" when talking about shows - they are both quite subjective terms. As the world's greatest girlfriend keeps reminding me, sometimes what one person things is garbage the next person thinks is the greatest thing since sliced bread, so perhaps what I think is a good performance would be seen as a lousy performance by someone else, and something so jarring to me that it ruins an entire show would go unnoticed by another audience member.

Nonetheless, I think everyone can agree that, no matter how good or bad a given show may be, there is always some room for improvement. Next summer (and this fall, for that matter), I would like to focus my energy on making those improvements, so that the day will come when, even to the most discerning eye, the shows we do at Grinder Productions are on par with anything seen on the professional summer stock circuit or regional theatre scene. While we may never be able to compare with the money spent by the major players, we can match and perhaps sometimes even exceed the "quality" and "professionalism" of their performances.

I think we can do it. It can't make us any worse by trying to get better, no one is going to stop coming to our plays because they got better, so why not at least make the attempt?

Thanks again, everyone for a great summer. I'm already excited about next year. I hope you will be able to join us once again.

Comments