Casting opportunities for men this summer with Grinder Productions

Aargh!

Once again, for the umpteenth time, we're having trouble finding male cast members for our shows this summer. If you are a guy with a pulse or you know anyone who is we would love to have them come out and fill a role in one of the shows. We're looking for men of any age here, really, because on the off-chance we can't find anything for you this summer we'll almost certainly have this problem again in the fall, because we have this problem on an ongoing basis.

I could rant and rave here about the chronic shortage of men in theatre, and wonder aloud why so many men are so reluctant to do plays, but I won't. I don't blame the dearth of men in theatre on the men, I blame it on three millenia of playwrights who have written plays with more men than women! I chose to open our season this year in Ennotville with two shows with all-female casts, but these are few and far between, which is part of the reason why I decided to write one myself. As I have gotten older and wiser I have begun to seek out shows with more women than men, and I would send a heartfelt plea, on behalf of stressed-out producers everywhere, to today's playwrights and urge them to correct this imbalance! A good show with an all-female cast will be done more often once it is well known, and the shows themselves will be better. They have a saying at the professional level: There's ten women for every role and ten roles for every man. While I don't think the imbalance is quite that bad, why not write a show that takes advantage of the infinitely deeper talent pool?

Sorry. I promised I wouldn't rant. If you're a guy who can act give me a call. If you're a guy or a girl who can write a play for me write one with an all-female cast, because from now on I think that's the only kind of play I want to do the majority of the time.

Comments