And that's a wrap! The Sarsaparilla Saloon closes its doors after a record-breaking run
What a ride! This past weekend we transformed the Ennotville Historical Library into Handlebar Dan's House of a Old Wives, a Sarsaparilla Saloon and the setting for one of the largest shows we've ever staged in this intimate little venue. This "Gay 90's" melodrama drew capacity crowds at both performances, enthralling audience members young and old (and I really mean that - some of the biggest reactions I saw were from the "too cool for old school" teenagers).
I'd like to thank everyone who took part in this play, with a special thanks to my assistant director Mya, who stepped into the role of Sally Simple at the 11th hour, and of course to Jules, the world's greatest stage manager and world's greatest wife, who stepped into the role of Gertrude Gretchen Gwillimbury at the 11th and a half hour, performing through injury.
This is the sort of play that I hope is done somewhere again. It already has had a staged reading in Georgia, in addition to a Zoom reading during the pandemic, and now that it has been tested in production I have a lot of confidence that the script is a good one, and that it would play well almost anywhere.
But Handlebar Dan was only the first half of the Grinder season. This week's show is something completely different - it's still taking place at the Ennotville Library, and Mya Leworthy is in it, but the similarities end there. Read more about the cast and backstory of the Electra of Euripides, and I hope we will see you there!

Comments