The Wednesday morning coma blues

Ten years from now the world's greatest wife and I will likely look back and laugh at ourselves during these days. We're both staggering out of bed at 5:30am, and she's out the door by 6:30. I get online to start my work, and take a quick peek at what's happening on Facebook.

Do you know what's happening on Facebook at 6:39am? Absolutely nothing! Since I don't have a lot of friends in different time zones most of my world is still fast asleep by the time I get up, eat breakfast, check my e-mail, and get started work for the day. By the time I log off at around 9am to go and feed the chickens I've already almost put in an entire half-day's work.

Sadly, this nearly three-hours of "bonus time" isn't exactly my most productive. After a lifetime of being a nightowl these un-godly hours are really taking a toll on me. I don't even try to schedule any important jobs for later in the week any more - I'm pretty much useless on Fridays. Even on a Wednesday morning I'm finding it very hard to focus, and impossible to think more than a few moments ahead of me about what I should be doing.

One day all this madness will be behind us, and we'll be able to re-join the rest of the world once again, getting up and going to bed at reasonable hours, not cutting ourselves off from life just because we've got to be asleep by 9pm, and being able to get through the work week without the headaches, heartburn or tears of exhaustion.

The world's greatest wife deserves that much, at least - she's been doing it for so long that she's more than paid her dues. As for me, I'm not so sure. She continually reminds me that I don't have to get up with her, that it would be all right for me to stay on my own routine, but I know that if I did that I wouldn't feel right, somehow, like I was shirking my responsibility to her and to us. So, until that wonderful day dawns when the alarm clock goes off at 7:30 instead of 5:30 I'll keep stumbling groggily onwards, hoping I never, ever get accustomed to life with the Wednesday morning coma blues.

Comments