Off-Season Problems


How I spent my Saturday Night - rockin' out at the SPARC Conference in Prince Edward County, Ontario with "That's What She Said"

A few days ago I realized that I'd missed last month's posting window - I usually try to get something out around the middle of the month when I'm not in shows. So it's been a while since my last post, and it's been a while since I last actually wrote anything of any substance. 

It's not that I haven't written - I have - just not as much and not with nearly the reckless abandon that produces some of my best work. I've been in a bit of lull since the summer, and the ideas haven't come as thick and fast as they usually do. Into the void has stepped, well, life, and I've been busier than ever doing a lot of things that are really important, but that don't always leave time or space for my own creativity. Time to change that, I suppose.

I am pleased to report that ideas for the Grinder 2023 season are swirling around in my head, and I'm well on track for my preferred timing, with a New Year's Day season announcement, or at least as much of the season that I can announce - I'm always leaving myself open to new opportunities that happen to come along. I have a number of shows, both short and long, that I would like to do, and I likely won't get to them all, but it will be fun to see how many I can fit in.

While I'm ruminating on show selection I also want to/need to continue to build my team. I have had the good fortune to work with many great people over the years, but I think it's important that I continue to deepen those relationships, and to build new ones with new actors who I'd like to invite to join the party in future years. This is something that I want to do more work on, so hopefully I'll make it out to a few more shows this fall and see what the local community theatre scene has to offer. 

But I think that's all I have to offer for now. I was hoping for something deeper, but I guess everything I'm talking about are just off-season problems. Perhaps I'd better save the depth for New Year's Day.   

Comments