Theatre of faith

I'm listening to tracks that I might want to use in Life and Death right now, and I have to admit that it's having quite the experience on me. I've been adamant for some time now that one of the ways I was going to suck less when it came to theatre was to pay more attention to the sound design - less utilitarian filler, more compelling narrative and counter-narrative.

The effect is, in this case, faith. No, I haven't found God (or organized religion - many people confuse the two). I haven't found anything new per se, but I do get the feeling that I'm beginning to rediscover a part of myself that has been lost for some time, a part of myself that comes from making great theatre.

I'm psyched for rehearsal this evening, despite being considerably tired. Maybe because we'll have everyone we need there tonight (someone better knock some wood). Maybe it's because we're moving into the second half of the play tonight, towards the plays that are perhaps darker in nature that those in Act 1, but that are ultimately more hopeful. Maybe it's the music, as I finally see another layer of commentary being added to the show's mosaic. Maybe it's something else.

It's been a while since I've felt that buzz that I get at the end of a great rehearsal. Every night it's been getting closer and closer. Hopefully tonight it will be there. Until then, I have to have faith that the moment is coming, that point where everything crystallizes, and turns into something amazing.

A theatre of faith - who knew?

Comments