Reaching Out

I've been talking a lot lately, in the newsletter, on the blog and to my friends and family, about reaching out. I'm trying to re-connect with a lot of the people and places in my life that I had forgotten, missed, or rejected in the hubbub of life as a small-time theatre producer.

I don't know what is propelling me to do this. Maybe I'm getting older, and placing greater value on relationships. Maybe I've figured out that it's better for business to have lots of friends than it is to have any enemies. Maybe I'm just sick of being periodically bitter and depressed, and shutting those sources of bitterness and depression out of my life hasn't seemed to effectively remove their ilk.

Whatever the reason, I am reaching out. I'm starting very tentatively, but I'm making myself open to at least the idea of letting some people back into my life that I wouldn't have otherwise had the time of day for.

I believe that everyone can change, and that in fact they do change: change is inevitable, and the only thing that doesn't change is everything changes. People can change for the better or for the worse, but regardless they are not the same people now as they were one, five or twenty-five years ago. Thus we have second chances.

I've held my grudges long enough. I'm reaching out. I don't know if it will work, but somehow I feel better just in making the attempt. I'll see how it goes. Perhaps there's someone in your life who could use some reaching out too - maybe it's something we all should take some time to consider.

Comments